On February 12, council planning enforcement officers visited the site and found evidence that the notice had not been complied with.
It is understood that Stuart Boorman and his family are some of the occupants living on the site after they bought part of the land last year.
They applied for permission to station eight mobile homes and two day rooms on a section of the land in August, but it was rejected by the council in December.
It was refused because it was on green belt land, the site lies within the Meopham Downs Landscape Character Area, highway safety risks, and the proposed loss of biodiversity.
However, Mr Boorman told KentOnline he believes they are being discriminated against as they are from the Gypsy and Traveller community.
He explained that after years of moving around the county, living in caravans parked on roadsides, car parks and petrol stations, they had tried to settle permanently and get their children into education.
Speaking previously, the 51-year-old said: “Gravesham council is going above and beyond to remove us all from the land.
“Not only would this make my family homeless, but it would disrupt the children’s education and well-being.
“All we ask is to be treated with the same human rights and dignity as every other British citizen, and to be given the opportunity to live alongside the local community.
“When we finally come together and scrape together the money to buy land to settle on, our plans are rejected.”
Despite this, the local authority is now launching legal proceedings for the alleged breach of planning enforcement.